- Download WordPress to /Users/yourusername/Sites folder
- Extract package to a folder name to be your wordpress install. I called it wordpress
- Setup permissions on the wp-content folder so that wordpress can modify files there. I simply gave ownership to _www group.
sudo chown -R _www wp-content
- Update /etc/apache2/users/yourusername.conf
<Directory "/Users/yourusername/Sites/"> Options Indexes MultiViews FollowSymLinks AllowOverride All AuthConfig Order allow,deny Allow from all </Directory>
- Restart apache for chaneges to take effect:
sudo apachectl restart
- Edit wp-config.php to add this constant so wordpress will not ask your FTP credentials while installing plugins.
- Create database for this wordpress installation in phpmyadmin.
- Create user for this database.
- Follow the 5 minute setup instructions localhost/~yourusername/wordpress/readme.html
- Update php version to 5.5 since Mac OSX lion comes with PHP 5.2 out of the box.
- Update Apache to 2.4 since Max OSX come with Apache 2.2 out of the box.
Hope this helps.